Seen at SXSW Interactive:
- Whereâ€™s the better party?
- Is this person below/above my social station?
- UnbelievableÂ displays of phoniness
- Elitism from those “in the know”
- Amazing rudeness towards “commoners”
Does social measurement drive douchbaggery? What if we took away all the social counters? Â How would online social behavior change if we didnâ€™t know how many followers we had?Â Would people be nicer?Â Would be engage more earnestly?
Or maybe SXSWi is the Hollywood for the social nerd set.Â The same douchiness seen in Hollywood celebrities naturally translates to social celebrities and social scoring just helps us identify the Justin Bieber in our crowd more easily.
What do you think?